Hour/hour: Lecture - Functional groups.
Team time: Curation.
Homework: Complete the following in your chemistry notebook after today's notes.
For the 10 functional groups we learned in class today (alcohols, aldehydes, alkyl halides, amides, amines, carboxylic acids, esters, ethers, ketones, thiols), find an organic molecule that contains that group (and ideally does not contain other functional groups).
Team time: Curation
THURSDAY - School cancelled due to fires in SD County.
1. ChemMatters debate
AM: Juan, Anna, Naidelyn, Marysol, Andres V.
PM: Truman, Brandon, Pablo, Rafael U.
2. Review functional groups; Activity - Building organic molecules.
3. Documentary on molecular gastronomy.
1. Reflection to El Bulli. Write a one paragraph reflection to the documentary El Bulli: Cooking in Progress. Questions to think about (keep in mind that this is a documentary, which is non-fiction film and not reality TV food schlock!) - what did you think of the documentary? In what ways was it exciting, interesting, and/or engaging? What did you already know about cooking that was presented in the documentary? What did you learn? What does it make you want to know more about?
2. Read and take notes on "Bringing Chemistry to the Kitchen." As you read, make a chart that shows how each factor below contributes to the flavor of food (column 1: factor, column 2: effect on flavor).
Make a list of terms you don't understand and questions that the article raises.
3. Prep for Monday's Socratic seminar. On Monday, we will have a Socratic seminar, using the Cooking in Progress documentary and "Bringing Chemistry to the Kitchen" article as reference texts. The driving question is, "How does cooking make chemistry come alive?" You will be expected to provide specific examples, drawing from both the reference texts and your personal experiences, as well as to discuss the relevant principles of science and chemistry.
To prep for the Socratic seminar, write two Knowledge, Application, and Synthesis questions.
4. Khan Academy. Level 1 for the six factoring skills by Sunday at 11:59 pm.
5. Organic chemistry quiz next Wednesday!
Need an update?
If you were late, absent, asleep, or distracted in class, then this is the place for you! Visit often to find homework assignments, project updates, upcoming deadlines, and the like.