The first theme we will be exploring this semester is Self-Awareness and Self-Management.
Today in class, you started watching Romeo + Juliet. Reflect on the first hour of the film thus far by answering the questions below in a comment to this post. Each question is worth 2 points. Respond to TWO of your classmates by agreeing or disagreeing on something they've written and explaining why. You may respond to a response! This assignment is worth 15 points.
1) What important things have happened so far?
2) Approximately how old do you think Romeo and Juliet are? Are they the same age, or is one older than the other? How do you know?
3) Does Romeo act from his emotions, or by thinking rationally and carefully about what he is doing? What evidence do you have of this?
4) Does Juliet act from her emotions, or by thinking rationally and carefully about what she is doing? What evidence do you have of this?
5) What other thoughts or opinions do you have of this story?
Answer the following questions by posting a comment below. Please write your answer in complete sentences.
1. Last week, we had no school in observance of Thanksgiving. Who in your life are you thankful for? Why? Also, what about YOURSELF are you thankful for? Try to think about a trait, skill, experience that you have learned from, that makes you you, etc.
2. What is one goal you would like to accomplish by the end of the semester?
3. With 5 weeks left in the semester, what are you going to do to ensure that you finish out strong and accomplish your goal?
On Monday, you talked about:
On Wednesday, you watched Coach Carter, a movie based on a true story about a man, Ken Carter, who returns to his high school in the underprivileged community of Richmond, California to coach high school basketball. In the movie, Coach Carter inspires his student athletes to overcome significant obstacles to gain academic confidence and reach their goals.
Bell Ringer: You have 30 minutes to answer the below questions in a comment to this post. You will then discuss your answers in class.
Bell Ringer: Answer the question below by posting a comment, and then responding to two of your peers.
1. Have you ever worked in a group where some students:
Notes: Five Strategies for Collaborating Effectively
Today's Assignment: Find a photo of a person, place, or thing that piques your interest. Copy-paste your photo into the Google Classroom assignment for an activity on Monday.
Bell Ringer: Write down times you have used these various levels of listening:
Bell Ringer: For each item, write whether it RARELY, SOMETIMES, or OFTEN applies to you:
Then answer the question: What effect did these experiences have with you and others?
After you write your response, respond to two other comments from your peers.
Today's Assignment: Take a selfie of 7 different people expressing one of the 7 basic emotions:
Bell Ringer: Examine the picture above. Then, answer the following question by posting a comment to this post: What is a "digital zombie"? Can you think of a time you were hurt or offended by one?
Today's Assignment: Create a meme that represents your understanding of a "digital zombie." Then, write a paragraph that analyzes the meme and how it represents youth addiction to video games, cell phones, and social media. Submit your meme and paragraph in a single document in Google Classroom.
Bell Ringer: Respond to the questions by posting a comment below.
Rapport: noun, a relationship marked by understanding and harmony.
Homework: Write me a letter telling me more about you, and in which you ask me 3 questions that you would like me to answer. This is due on Tuesday, 9/18.